Raag Sohini belongs to Marwa thaat of the North Indian Music System. Komal RE (Rishabh), Tivra MA (Madhyam) & PA (Pancham) are Varjya Swaras in this Raga. This raag has a joyful tone (Chanchal Prakriti). ALso Known as Raag Sohani
Characteristics or Visheshta of this Raag:
- The nature of this raag is Joyful (Chanchal). Masitkhani Gat & Bada Khyal is less used in this Raga.
- It is an evening timed "Sandhi-Prakash) Raag is the time to perform is 4-7 PM. It looks like a morning version of Raag Marwa.
- Sometimes performers use Shudh MA (Madhyam) to enhance the tonal effect of the raga.
- Nyas Ke Swar: GA, DHA & SA.
- Special Swar-Groups:
Comparison of Raag Pooriya, Raag Marwa & Raag Sohini
- They belong to Marwa Thaat.
- Use of Komal RE (Rikhab), Tivra MA (Madhyam) & rest Shudh Swara in all these ragas.
- They belong to Shadav - Shadav jati.
- Pa (Pancham) is Varjit swara in these ragas.
- The time is also common "Sandhi-Prakash".
- While performing the first wire of Tanpura supposed to be on Mandra Ni (Nishad).
- The Vadi-Samvadi section is different in these ragas.
- Pooriya Raag: GA-NI
- Marwa Raag: RE-DHA
- Sohini Raag: GA-DHA
- They are different in nature.
- Pooriya Raag: Gambhir Prakriti (Serious Tone)
- Marwa Raag: Chanchal Prakriti (Joyful Tone)
- Sohini Raag: Chanchal Prakriti (Joyful Tone)
- Raag Pooriya & Raag Marwa refers to evening time Sandhi-Prakash Raag, & Sohini refers to morning time Sandhi-Prakash Raag.
- There are two followings to Dha (Dhaivat) of Raag Pooriya but n confusions or divisions regarding Dha (Dhaivat) of Raag Marwa & Raag Sohini.
1. This Raag belongs to which thaat?
2. Select Jati of this Raag?
a) Audav - Shadav,
b) Shadav - Shadav,
c) Shadav - Audav,
d) Shadav - Sampoorna
3. Select the correct combination of Vadi-Samvadi?
4. What is the suitable time for this raag?
a) Early Morning,
5. Which swara is not used in this raag?
Answers: 1(b), 2(a), 3(b), 4(a), 5(d).